Sunday 15 September 2013

Book Review | YA Dystopian | Uglies (Uglies #1) by Scott Westerfeld


| Uglies (Uglies #1) | Scott Westerfeld |
| Published - 2005 | Format - Paperback | Pages - 425 |
| Goodreads | My Rating 8/10 |

| Summary from Goodreads |

Tally can't wait to turn sixteen and become pretty. Sixteen is the magic number that brings a transformation from repellent Ugly into a stunningly attractive Pretty, and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks, Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend, Shay, isn't sure she wants to be Pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the Pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn Pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.


| My Thoughts |



I have heard this book  talked about a lot on the Booktuber community on Youtube, so after a while I thought I would check it out and I am so glad I did. I loved this book and went straight online to buy the next book in the series.



The characters were enjoyable to read about and to see how they developed throughout the novel. I especially liked reading about Tally and David and seeing how Tally's character developed as she learns more and more about the reality of the world that she grew up in.


I also enjoyed reading about the different places that make up the setting for this novel.


This book lost a couple of points though because I personally felt that this book would have worked better in a first person narration. Of course I don't know about the other three books in the series and if it could have work for them as well.

Overall, I rated this book 8/10 and I definitely would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment